Re: External table performance

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:50:29 -0500

Hi Kellyn,

With 20+ millions of directory objects, problems are inevitable. File systems are not made for that kind of load. The file names in the directory are either searched sequentially or by binary search, which is OK if there are few thousands of the directory entries, which fit in memory, but would likely cause problems with 20+ millions of directory entries. File systems are not meant for 20+ millions of files in a directory.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant