Re: truncate WRI$ tables !

From: Dominic Brooks <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:01:18 +0000

Follow-up: I see there was a note on Jonathan Lewis’s blog from Mark Jeffery of Oracle Support that using PURGE_ALL does not require sign off from oracle Support.

https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/stats-history/

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Jan 2018, at 16:52, Dominic Brooks <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com<mailto:dombrooks_at_hotmail.com>> wrote:

Why do you want to truncate them?
Upgrades from < 11.2.0.4 to >=11.2.0.4 included a step to partition these tables which was reported on this list as being time consuming if the tables were large

In my experience, this history is rarely useful but you only need it when you need it... however an upgrade is one of those times you might be particularly sensitive to histogram changes.

DBMS_STATS.PURGE_STATS(DBMS_STATS.PURGE_ALL) should take care of it if that’s what you want to do but that option is listed as only to be used under the advice of Oracle Support.

Caveat DBA.

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Jan 2018, at 16:34, Nitin Saxena <ntnsxn7_at_gmail.com<mailto:ntnsxn7_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi All,

Any negative impact of truncating following tables before upgrade?

WRI$_OPTSTAT_HISTHEAD_HISTORY;
WRI$_OPTSTAT_HISTGRM_HISTORY; Do these tables have impact on current stats , performance and SPM?

Thanks
Nitin