Re: Meltdown and spectre

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 23:18:01 +0000

RE: "This is the first piece that makes sense."

This made me lol. Project Zero announced the issue. It was linked or mentioned in pretty much every piece I read on this...

RE: "I don’t see any reason why an O/S would allow a process to read outside of its memory."

I'm not a CPU engineer or OS/Hypervisor developer so excuse my over-simplistic thoughts and anyone feel free to jump in and correct me... Operating systems and hypervisors will offload as much as possible to the hardware. As an example, back in the day VMware used binary translation for almost all system calls, but that was pretty slow. Once Intel and AMD included their respective virtualization tech onto the chips (2006/2007) guess what everyone they did? They passed some of this responsibility on to the hardware to make the hypervisors leaner and more efficient. They trust the chip to do what it says it will do. Likewise, if the OS or hypervisor developer believes operations are safe because the chip is not going to do something stupid, then they will definitely remove code path to improve performance, since all the belt & braces code takes more processing and slows stuff down. At the kernel level, every click counts, as is evident by some of the performance impacts coming through.

https://access.redhat.com/articles/3307751

Linus Torvalds response included,

"A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation doesn't happen across protection domains."

I know bugger all about this stuff, but his post reads to me like he thought the CPU was protecting these calls, so the OS kernel didn't need to.

The picture from VMware doesn't sound so bad initially.

https://blogs.vmware.com/security/2018/01/vmsa-2018-0002.html

I read some other stuff (can't find the links now) which suggested VMware were being very naive and downplaying the problem. I guess we will see how this one plays out over the coming weeks.

I also saw some other stuff, once again can't find the links, that suggested it will need to be a combination of kernel and firmware to mitigate the issues until the chip designs are altered.

Cheers

Tim...