Re: Meltdown and spectre

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 10:44:41 -0700

Elizabeth,

Looking at this in terms of a RACI diagram, the HW vendors, HW resellers, and your organization's security team are accountable, sysadmin teams are responsible and consulted, and everyone else is informed.

I suspect that, in the end, most organizations are going to hold the HW resellers/vendors financially responsible.  Significant loss of productivity due to these bugs are likely to result in demands for free HW as compensation, resulting in a chain of lawsuits that roll recursively from HW resellers to HW vendors back to Intel.

Meltdown and Spectre are not Linux bugs;  they are Intel bugs, which means that any OS running on Intel is exposed.  Linux and other OS's running on Power, SPARC, or PA-RISC do not seem to be affected, though I suspect the jury might still be out on anything running in Itanium (i.e. Linux, HP-UX, Windows, etc)?

Hope this helps...

-Tim