Re: Ensure backups are archived prior to deleting from disk

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 06:09:27 -0500

On 01/03/2018 10:39 AM, Jeffrey Beckstrom wrote:
> We are currently running Oracle on Windows. Veritas BackupExec runs on
> a separate server to copy backups to tape using the Veritas Windows
> Agent. There is ONLY one Veritas backup server and multiple database
> servers that are backed up. The tape drive is ONLY attached to the
> Veritas server.
>
> We run RMAN backups to disk nightly. Prior to running the backup, all
> existing backup files with the Windows archive bit cleared are
> deleted. Later during the night, Veritas BackupExec copies the backups
> from disk to tape using the Windows agent from Veritas.
>
> With our move to Linux from Windows, how can we ensure that the RMAN
> backups have been archived to another disk location or tape prior to
> their deletion from disk. We envision using Veritas BackupExec with
> the Linux agent to copy the Linux RMAN files to tape/disk. Here again,
> the Linux server will NOT see the tape drive since it is only attached
> to the Veritas backup server.
>
> Jeffrey Beckstrom
> Lead Database Administrator
> Information Technology Department
> Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> 1240 W. 6th Street
> Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Hi Jeff!

How are you transferring the disk backups to the tape? If you are using file system agent, then the only way is BackupExec command line. If you are using "backup backupset all" from rman using the ORASBT.DLL, then RMAN commands like "list backup of database summary device type sbt" will do the trick.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA