Re: SQL Command list history on Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 05:57:34 -0500

On 01/02/2018 04:51 PM, Neil Chandler wrote:

> Jeff,
>

> My preferred solution is to install "rlwrap" [ e.g. "yum install
> rlwrap" - check out https://github.com/hanslub42/rlwrap ] it provides
> similar functionality to a windows CMD environment. You just call the
> command you want to use via rlwrap
>

> e.g. rlwrap sqlplus, or rlwrap dgmgrl
>

> To keep thing simple, you can alias it
>

> alias rsql='rlwrap sqlplus'
>
> alias rdg='rlwrap dgmgrl'
>

> regards
>

> Neil Chandler

Hi Neil,
Rlwrap is not an equivalent solution. The "rlwrap" trick breaks editing of PL/SQL code, which can be annoying. If you write a multi-line PL/SQL snippet and something goes wrong, "ed" will only return a part of the snippet. SQLCl will do the right thing and give you back the entire procedure. It has a primitive screen editor built into the code because arrow keys also work when editing the history commands. Also, SQLCl has "REPEAT" command which turns your SQLCl session into an instant monitor, if necessary. In addition to all that, there is Jeff Smith, who has been doing an outstanding job with the product and explaining it on this list. Jeff is extremely helpful and a very nice guy. And no, I don't work for Oracle Corp. and I don't plan on working for Oracle anytime soon. Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA