RE: Login Slow on One Database using ArcGIS

From: Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 18:18:57 +0000

Mark,
Unfortunately AWR and Statspack is not available on the DBs on this server, so that complicates things too. This is an older DB that was created by someone else and handed off to me. I do know that automatic memory management is not in use. Sallie

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Powell, Mark Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:00 PM To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Login Slow on One Database using ArcGIS

Sallie, do you have access to the AWR or Statspack. I would check the reports for the problem database to see if any specific waits or queries stand out as potential issues. The reports should also vie you an idea of the load. This one database could have 3X the connections as the other three databases combined for all we know so I say first try to make sure the instance in fact looks fine using traditional measures. If automatic memory management features of one type or another are in use verifying that the memory distribution has not ended up badly skewed should also be one of the checks on your list.

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> on behalf of Sallie Cottingham <Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov<mailto:Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov>> Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:16:52 PM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Login Slow on One Database using ArcGIS

I have a server that has 4 databases on it and the user is reporting that logging in to one specific database is extremely slow when using VPN, but that all of the others are fine.

What I have found out (and confirmed with the user) is that logging into the DB thru SQL*Plus or TOAD has no issues. The problem occurs when they are logging into the DB thru their application which happens to be ArcGIS. This is a standalone DB running 11.2.0.4.

Our Infrastructure Architect is telling me that the server itself is almost maxed out on CPU and so he has added RAM to it. (It is a VM machine) He is telling me that I am going to need to increase the SGA on the DB to solve the problem.

Before I go there I wanted to check with this group to provide any ideas on what I can look for to help pinpoint the problem. My tendency is to think that it is a network problem or some problem with the ArcGIS setup since the problem only occurs when using the application, not when access is thru SQL*Plus or TOAD. Also, the other 3 databases on this server are also running ArcGIS with no issues. I'm just not sure where to begin looking and would appreciate any help!

Sallie Cottingham

Database Administrator

Division of Technology Solutions

Comptroller of the Treasury

425 Fifth Avenue North

Nashville, TN 37243-34001

Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov<mailto:Sallie.Cottingham_at_cot.tn.gov> 615-401-7962

The Comptroller's Nashville office is moving to a new location. Our office's telephone numbers, fax numbers, and e-mail addresses will not change. However, effective December 18, 2017, all mail should be sent to the following address:

Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury

Technology Solutions

Cordell Hull Building

425 Fifth Avenue North