Re: [OffTopic] Curiosity about vision of the future for dba oracle ...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:27:50 -0500

On 11/11/2017 10:58 AM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> One rule I have found to be nearly always true is ‘data expands to use
> the available capacity’.  The job of a DBA may change with technology,
> but the job will still be needed for the foreseeable future.

I agree. However, it questionable whether it would still justify the name "database administrator".  There is also an economic side to this: whether the skills with Oracle RDBMS are still in demand and in which combinations. I am not looking for a new job so I haven't done any in-detail investigations, but what I hear is that it is very hard to land a good Oracle-only job these days. One is required to have a reasonable level of knowledge with at least SQL Server and MySQL, plus a scripting language, usually Python or PHP. Perl is definitely out of favour, which is unjustified in my opinion. Strong knowledge of the operating system, usually Linux, is also required. Some knowledge of cloud infrastructure is also required, usually AWS. The candidates are expected to know about EC2, RDS, S3 and Glacier. I am not sure that such set of requirements is well described by the "Oracle DBA" job title. In other words, I do not consider such a person to be an Oracle DBA.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant