Re: Anyone Using In-Memory?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 08:34:01 +0000

I would agree strongly with the second paragraph.

In-memory does very well if you want to identify a (relatively) small number of columns and (relatively) small number of rows from a very large objects in any one query. On top of that, though, you have to remember that a hash join (in particular) may require a very large amount of CPU and memory to complete and the benefit you get from finding the input data may not be the significant fraction of the total workload. The potential threat is mitigated by careful selection of parallel distribution method and maximising the application of the vector transformation.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Øyvind Isene <oyvind.isene_at_gmail.com> Sent: 30 October 2017 20:42:39
To: andy.rivenes_at_oracle.com
Cc: srcdco_at_rit.edu; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Anyone Using In-Memory?

One of my colleagues works for a large customer in Oslo where they use DBIM with JD Edwards. The results are quite impressive.

 As always it depends on the volume of data and nature of the queries. It doesn't hurt to check it out.

Full disclosure, I am a Product Manager for Database In-Memory at Oracle. We have quite a bit of information available on OTN<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/in-memory/overview/index.html>, including customer use cases, and we have an active blog<https://blogs.oracle.com/in-memory/> where we talk about features and uses of DBIM with a separate features page with additional links to information. If you get stuck or have any further questions, don't hesitate to email me directly.

Regards,

Andy Rivenes

On Oct 30, 2017, at 10:49 AM, Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>> wrote:

I’ve been asked to look into the In-Memory option. One of our customers attended a webinar for a BI tool (Looker) that uses a columnar database for quick analytics of data. Instead of trying to move data from Oracle to another database, we’d prefer to try it using In-Memory. Has anyone played with this? Is it all it’s advertised? Is it difficult to use?

We are on Oracle 12.1.0.2.

Thank you,

Scott Canaan ’88 (srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>)

(585) 475-7886 – work                (585) 339-8659 – cell
“Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.” – Tom Lehrer

--

Øyvind Isene
+47 90864882

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Oct 31 2017 - 09:34:01 CET