Re: Monitoring Oracle with Nagios?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 09:04:17 -0400

On 10/27/2017 05:40 PM, Mark J. Bobak wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is anyone monitoring their Oracle instances w/ Nagios?
>
> We have Nogios installed, and for system-level monitoring (host
> up/down, file system space, etc) it does a reasonably good job.
>
> But, I've had no luck finding plugins for Oracle monitoring that are
> worth anything. (tablespace, ASM DG space, etc)  Does anyone out there
> monitor Oracle w/ Nagios?  What plugin(s) do you use?  I've found a
> few, but have not had any luck getting them to work.
>
> Help?  Suggestions?
>
> I'm also looking at OEM and Cloudwatch (we're all on AWS here), but
> there seems to be some resistance to OEM, and CloudWatch looks like a
> bit of an intimidating learning curve....
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Mark

Hi Mark,

I have experience with Nagios plugins from around 5 years ago. Those were essentially Perl scripts that I could adjust to work as I wanted them to.  I had no major problems with them. As for OEM, it's overly complex, based on OEM and Java and requires significant resources just to monitor stuff. What exactly is the problem with the plugins?

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA