Re: packages - one file or separate

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_dxc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 17:47:17 +0000

We store each Oracle object type in its own file, owner_objectname, except for all objects that cease to exist when you drop a table are stored with the create table source including DDL for the table, comments, constraints including PK, UK, and FK, indexes, grants, trigger, and policies plus all synonyms defined on the table are also stored in the table source file. We store the package specification and body in the same file along with grants and synonyms.

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 12:44:39 PM To: Jacek Gêbal
Cc: William Robertson; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk Subject: Re: packages - one file or separate

I have a follow up questions to source control database objects. Do you put your objects into separate folders. Like Functions to a Functions folder, Package Headers to a Packages folder, Package body to PackageBodies folder, etc.... Or just everything in one folders all together?

Thanks,
Jeff

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Jacek Gêbal <jgebal_at_gmail.com<mailto:jgebal_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi Jeff,
If you want to see how we use GIT for version control of source code and tests here are few examples: https://github.com/utPLSQL/utPLSQL
https://github.com/utPLSQL/utPLSQL-demo-project

Regards
Jacek

On 13 September 2017 at 21:53, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Thanks. Yeah the tabbed editor in PL/SQL Dev is really nice but I know Toad and SQL Developer separate them. I can get used to it but my developers might grumble though.

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM, William Robertson <william_at_williamrobertson.net<mailto:william_at_williamrobertson.net>> wrote: Separate files for me too. You lose the tabbed editor window in PL/SQL Developer but I don't really notice it.

William

On 13 Sep 2017, at 16:31, Michael Cunningham <napacunningham_at_gmail.com<mailto:napacunningham_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Similar to what Norman said I use separate files and it is primarily due to the way the TOAD development environment works. TOAD separates them, so that's how I do it. Norman had a good point about being able to modify the body without invalidating the package.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone
On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>> wrote: We put all our database code in files and use a source control. We’ve always stored our package header and body in a single file. We use PL/SQL Developer and it handles that packages in a single file and opens the header and body in nice separate tabs. We getting ready to move out source control to Git and wondering if now is the time to split up our package files into separate files. The benefit I guess is that we are not compiling the header when nothing has changed. Currently when they made an update to the package body the developers will send us the file containing the header and so both get recompiled in production. Which unless I am mistaken forces referencing objects to recompile. Only checking out the body would prevent that but then we have more files to check out when we need the header. So I am curious what is better or more common? I’ve been also looking around at tools that manage the source control like Datical and Red Gate. Although Datical is ridiculously expensive. Anyways these tools seem to prefer packages in separate files.

What does everyone here do?

Thanks,
Jeff