RE: Converting from a 2-node RAC cluster using ASM to a single instance with Oracle Restart.

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 14:44:30 +0000

I just got through something very similar. There isn’t a single document for the process, but you should be able to map it out by,

  1. Remove one node from the cluster,
  2. Provision storage for the new instance
  3. we split our ASM disks in half as we had the capacity to do so – if you don’t, you’re looking at finding other storage or reusing your diskgroups from the RAC environment. I’ve heard it can be done, but I’ve never attempted it.
  4. Build your new instance as a Data Guard standby
  5. Switchover

HTH, T. J.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zabair Ahmed Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:37 AM To: exriscer_at_gmail.com; Oracle-L Freelists Subject: Re: Converting from a 2-node RAC cluster using ASM to a single instance with Oracle Restart.

We are using 11.2.0.4 EE. Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it. On Thursday, 19 October 2017, 13:28, Ls Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com<mailto:exriscer_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Can you use Data Guard or you are running standard edition? If you can just setup a Data Guard in Sngle Instance and switchover so the downtime is minium BR

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Zabair Ahmed <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org<mailto:dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org>> wrote: Hello,

We are currently on a 2 node 11.2.0.4 RAC cluster on Redhat 5.9 and wanted to convert this database to a single instance with Oracle Restart running 11.2.0.4.

I would appreciate if someone could point me to the right place for some documentation/notes.

I have tried MOS and Oracle documentation but not have had any luck so far.

TIA. Zabair