RE: Oracle IP and Unwrapping PL/SQL Code

From: Matthew Parker <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 06:57:13 -0700

Can you give us some more details about your problem?

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7
<mailto:Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

<http://www.dimensionaldba.com/> www.dimensionaldba.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bill Ferguson Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:30 AM To: rjanuary_at_gmail.com
Cc: knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com; rob_at_oraclewizard.com; oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; rgravens_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: Oracle IP and Unwrapping PL/SQL Code

I would have to fully and emphatically agree with Oracle's lack of responsiveness. I've been working with Oracle for close to 30 years now, and this year has hands down been the absolute worst dealing with Oracle Support - EVER!.

My development database has been basically "dead" for over 5 months now, leaving me completely hanging in the wind. A real long story about several distinct instances of miscommunications, the 5 different SR's being opened and closed while the problem was shifted to other groups, etc., and this is for a 24x7 Severity 1 problem. I don't even want to imagine how bad it would be if this wasn't escalated. On the plus side though, I have received two different patches (the original and an update to the original) for the problem, but neither fixed all of the problems. At least it seems now that the only remaining problem is I can view and access the code (packages, functions, etc.) in the application schemas, but I cannot access tables or views (in any schema) without getting a "SYS.DBA_TAB_COLS has errors", followed by "SYS.DBA_IND_COLUMNS has errors", which in turn seems to point to a "C.COLLINTCOL#" being an invalid identifier.

I haven't gone through the process of unwrapping the code since these are part of the data dictionary, but it seems like every data dictionary table or view that uses a "TYPE" object has this problem (I see it on numerous SYS tables). Revokes, grants, creations, etc. all seem to fail on any and all objects using a TYPE, I've reported this to Oracle several times during the course of the 5 SR's, and I am still without a usable database for development and am now facing my first ever annual Performance Plan failure.

It is no wonder many sites in my organization are dropping Oracle and migrating to Postgres instead. I personally can't, since I have so many apps in Apex, but I think the other groups are mainly using the database simply for storage and extremely basic retrieval. At least I only have a few years left before retirement, then it can be somebody elses headache. It's a shame, because I always had such great experiences with Oracle over the decades, even got Uncle Larry involved in one problem way, way back in the early 90's and he had development get me a fix within the week.

Other than insane growth, trying to have too many different products all under the same 'umbrella', the over-abundance of java code within the database, and something just plain wrong with Support this year (management, training, lack of talented staff, or something), Oracle has seem to taken a nose-dive this year compared to previous years. I was really hoping to leave behind some extremely usable app for my agency to continue using in the years following my retirement, but if this is any indication at all, I have no hope.

Bill Ferguson

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com <mailto:rjanuary_at_gmail.com> > wrote:

I disagree, however within reason. I've been on the receiving end of profoundly unresponsive Oracle service reps, leading to SR's that languish with no updates. The ability of tracking oracle internal PL/SQL to the origin (and subsequently a work around on the client end) has been a god-send.

If Oracle were more responsive, I agree. When we're forced to troubleshoot Oracle code, on their behalf, I'll use almost any tool is at my disposal to gather additional data.

On Oct 13, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com <mailto:knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com> > wrote:

I think those websites - if for ethical reasons only - shouldn't exist.

It's fine to be able to purchase this as a service, if there is a legitimate need. But in such a public and free manner, I don't agree with it.

--

-- Bill Ferguson