RE: Oracle IP and Unwrapping PL/SQL Code

From: Matthew Parker <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 06:55:04 -0700

From a pure C/C++ perspective with standard compilers anyone can reverse engineer your code. Wrapping simply puts a minimal barrier in front of people who are not low level developers.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7
<mailto:Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

<http://www.dimensionaldba.com/> www.dimensionaldba.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Rumpi Gravenstein Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:32 AM To: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com> Cc: rjanuary_at_gmail.com; knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com; rob_at_oraclewizard.com; oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Oracle IP and Unwrapping PL/SQL Code

I had a follow-up conversation with an Oracle product manager on this topic. He tells me that wrapping pl/sql should be used to identify your intellectual property for later legal recourse should you need it. There is no intention to having this actually secure anything even though that's not how it was originally marketed. The tone of his conversation was defensive with a long discourse on how even compiled code can be decompiled, although with a bit more effort. So ... when you see wrapped code consider it Oracle's version of a copyright notice.

--

Rumpi Gravenstein