Re: log file size

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:52:59 -0400

Hi Orlando,

There is not theoretical size limits to your redo log files. If you have enough storage, you can make your redo log size 1PB each. However, the larger your redo log files are, the longer it will take to apply them. 4GB is a normal redo size for OLTP databases with a lot of concurrent transactions. I have even encountered 16GB redo logs at one large bank. However, I would advise setting log_checkpoint_timeout to induce a checkpoint at least once every 10 minutes. That way, you will only need to recover last 10 minutes, no matter how large your redo log files are.

Regards

PS:

If you opt for 1PB log files, please let me know. I would be very curious about that.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA