Re: PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, AUTO PGA TARGET and WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:22:32 -0400

Well, Oracle advises you not to set it up explicitly. You CAN set it up explicitly if you need to do it for special workloads or if default is too restrictive. It is very hard to set it up below the default, you need pfile for that. If anything, you should increase it. Here is the note from Mike Dietrich:

https://mikedietrichde.com/2017/05/04/pga_aggregate_limit-enforces-default-since-oracle-database-12-2-0-1/

Also interesting are comments by Stefan Koehler below the post itself. My personal preference is to set it to 0, which means no limit, and have memory management done by the operating system.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA