Re: Timezone setting on Exadata - daylight savings time

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 19:07:29 -0400

This is system-wide setting. If you are in a different time zone than your system, for instance if logging in over VPN, you may want to set the TZ variable to your time zone. TZ determines the session level time zone. Here is an example:

mgogala_at_umajor:~$ export TZ=EST5EDT
mgogala_at_umajor:~$ date
Thu Oct  5 19:00:00 EDT 2017
mgogala_at_umajor:~$ export TZ=PST8PDT
mgogala_at_umajor:~$ date
Thu Oct  5 16:00:49 PDT 2017
mgogala_at_umajor:~$

The first setting is my original time zone, Eastern daylight savings time, while the second one is Pacific daylight savings time. System-wide setting is, of course, EST:

mgogala_at_umajor:~$ ls -l /etc/localtime lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Apr 20 17:47 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

I have never set the TZ variable at the instance level, my instances have always used the system time zone. However, if I want to set the local time for the terminal session, I can use the TZ variable.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA