How dbas can increase his chance to get customers

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <jcdrpllist_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 10:11:34 -0400

Hello this is my opinion, I know some dbas expect to have jobs only sending curriculums, and thanks to the question of verma, I want to give a suggestion.

My grain of sand, hope to be useful for some newbie without job.

1, I think the future of the dba is to negotiate their jobs, and developr a secondary skill.
 something dbas must keep in their mind is the ability to negotiate and change the mind of the possible customers, if they want to get a job:

It depends in the image the customer has, that means if a customer has an image of Oracle as microsoft word, and you change it, then his behaviour will change.
If you are the owner of a business similar amazon, and you are sure you don't need a dba, and someone explains the problems (the one that usually happens) and risk, including legal risks, or saving in licenses, that usually happens, they can change their opinion. That means that as dba, if you offer to organize the managements of their database you can get jobs, negotiating with business owners, if not a permanent you can get a contract to monitor, advise and periodically optimize/check his database.

The tendency in general will be to not hire dbas, or as much dbas, and hire external dba service in ot her cases.
For small business, the tendency is to get his current programmers asume the control of the database, because they accept the image that Oracle is like microsoft Word, and they and the programmers will learn by the hard way Oracle is not Microsoft Word.

The dba work will becom part of other jobs, for that reason to get a secondary certification as Architect, or developer could help, to get job. But is important to keep a clear positioning, but it depends of the job, if you are seekign a job as dba, and say I'm an oracle architect, a know excel and I knwo photoshop too, that is not really a good idea; the idea is if you don't get a job as dba, you can seek a job as architect, and there you position as architect, with abilities as dba, taht are very useful for architect. I know thisi so bvious for many of you, but not for all necessarily.

2. No, Oracle can't, they would need the power to avoid the existence of bugs generates by oracle,operating system, hardware, etc. The even can't guarantee the good functioning of the tuning tools he has, I remember the tkprof was buggy in a recent version of Oracle. There are sitaution they can't guarantee you get the correct data from a query, this is not usual, but in rare ocasions happens. These is the fairy tale history of marketing that wants to make believe Oracle is unbreakable and automated. I can't give you an easy security problem Oracle didn't resolve and is not thinking to resolve, and it is very serious.
Is like to assume is safe, that is false, becaue to be safe 100% unbreakable, you need to acquire enterprise and several products, and a bunch of experts that know about safety and configure and organize correctly the business, including ontime patching.