RE: Lot of Latch Free and Enqueue Hash Chain Wait Events

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 16:11:25 -0400

yup. the short answer this was to fill a product offering gap in the low to mid range without allowing hipsters to get unlimited cpu power as if it were a full enterprise engine by adding cpu boards to the frame. Nothing unethical to see here, on this particular issue.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hans Forbrich Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 2:56 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Lot of Latch Free and Enqueue Hash Chain Wait Events

Well documented. Please refer to the brief at https://www.oracle.com/database/standard-edition-two/index.html for more information.

/Hans

On 2017-10-03 12:48 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:

Wow! I didn't know that, because I have no experience with SE2. I don't like the ethics of such behaviour. That looks to me like a sales pitch taken too far.

Regards

On 10/03/2017 02:13 PM, Stefan Knecht wrote:

Yes, exactly as Niall said.

The CPU limit is hard-coded into the software and they implemented it through the resource manager. Whenever you're actively using more than 16 threads, resource manager will prevent your from getting any more CPU until a thread has been freed.

I was bitten by this too when testing (deliberately producing) latch contention behavior. You can't really put too much concurrent stress on an SE2 instance, you'll simply be throttled.

Stefan

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

SE2 is core limited by if memory serves CPU_COUNT.

On 3 Oct 2017 17:09, "Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Stefan, can you expand a bit on this?

Regards

On 10/03/2017 11:44 AM, Stefan Knecht wrote:

Is this Standard Edition 2 ? You may be throttled by the database on purpose.

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

//

zztat - The Next-Gen Oracle Performance Monitoring and Reaction Framework!

Visit us at zztat.net | Support our Indiegogo campaign at igg.me/at/zztat | _at_zztat_oracle

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA