Re: Log in Storm Caused Database Crash

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 12:05:27 +0700

Am I understanding this correctly and you were doing a deliberate load test?

You can't really define a "breaking point" solely on limiting the number of sessions. It depends on many many more factors, particularly on what those sessions are actually doing, how well your application was designed for concurrency, your underlying data model, etc, etc. Of course it also depends on your architecture (single instance vs RAC) and how well the application was written for either of those.

But if you are running load tests, I'd say you are on the right path already. I'd however start with a lower threshold and monitor the system for a while to watch for concurrency issues, how well the I/O subsystem handles it, CPU load, etc etc... Then gradually increase the amount of workers until you start seeing problems. You can cripple almost any system by hitting it with 100 new connections per second for long periods of time. I'd start slower and ensure that it handles that well first.

With an approach like this - assuming that your load test is producing a somewhat realistic load profile (and not just connect/disconnect) - this will allow you to effectively determine your capacity.

Stefan

--
//
zztat - The Next-Gen Oracle Performance Monitoring and Reaction Framework!