RE: Oracle CPU Time Used, vs CPU Time Available (CPU Capacity)

From: Dominic Brooks <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:52:42 +0000

Yep.
Plus:
3) The connection pools are way over-sized – see real world performance group videos

From: Mladen Gogala<mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> Sent: 14 September 2017 12:49
To: dombrooks_at_hotmail.com<mailto:dombrooks_at_hotmail.com> Cc: peter.fong_at_gmail.com<mailto:peter.fong_at_gmail.com>; Chris Taylor<mailto:christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>; ORACLE-L<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Oracle CPU Time Used, vs CPU Time Available (CPU Capacity)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:01:17 +0000
Dominic Brooks <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have spent a lot of effort recently explaining that running at a sustained 95%
> utilisation over a 1-2 hour period does not just mean that you’ve got an extra 5%
> that you could be squeezing out...

In case you described,you probably do not have that capacity. 95% of CPU usually means run queue and kernel overhead which will easily devour the remaining 5%. Such sustained consumption can mean one of two things: 1) You need a bigger box (or vbox).
2) There is a sub-optimal task running on the machine which needs to be optimized.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA