Re: Oracle CPU Time Used, vs CPU Time Available (CPU Capacity)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:49:41 -0400

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:01:17 +0000
Dominic Brooks <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have spent a lot of effort recently explaining that running at a sustained 95%
> utilisation over a 1-2 hour period does not just mean that you’ve got an extra 5%
> that you could be squeezing out...

In case you described,you probably do not have that capacity. 95% of CPU usually means run queue and kernel overhead which will easily devour the remaining 5%. Such sustained consumption can mean one of two things: 1) You need a bigger box (or vbox).
2) There is a sub-optimal task running on the machine which needs to be optimized.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA