Re: ZFS Storage appliance..

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 23:59:42 -0400

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 18:17:49 +0000
Upendra nerilla <nupendra_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> All -
>
> We are looking into ZFS storage appliance to replace it as a enterprise storage system (a portion of the consumption will for oracle DBs). If anyone is using ZFS, would please share some feedback on how the experience is been and any PROs and CONs?
>
> Our reason behind picking this platform is HCC, compression and replication features. ZFS's contender is a storage system like IBM XIV or similar..
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> -Upendra

I am using ZFS storage appliance and it is extremely easy to administer and use. I had no problems whatsoever with it. It supports NFS, iSCSI and FC right off the bat. My only worry is that it runs Solaris and Solaris is in the process of being murdered, as well as SPARC processors and most of the storage hardware. In other words, there may be no ZFS appliance this time next year. I'm sure that IBM will profit the most from the demise of SUN. For the connoisseurs, Illumos will survive, but will probably not be a supported platform for Oracle RDBMS.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA