Re: Excessive archvelog creation

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 22:30:26 -0400

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 15:42:13 -0400
Michael Brown <dba_at_michael-brown.org> wrote:

> Be aware that features of securefiles (compression, deduplication) do require
> licensing advanced compression. Also, securefiles are a mixed blessing
> with e-Business Suite (at least in my case), I had significantly more wasted
> space and growth with securefiles than with basicfiles.

Well, Mark has already commented on the license, so I can only tell you that this is not a problem just with EBS. In my experience, securefiles LOB columns consume significantly more space then basicfiles do. Essentially, what you are trying to do with LOB items is to store files into database. Your tablespace takes the role of a file system. And the space management for this type of file system is created to handle concurrency, not to cram as much stuff into a disk partition as possible, which would be efficient space management. LOB columns are not really well suited for being stored in a database. On my last position as a DBA, I was putting LOB items into MongoDB, which was much cheaper space-wise. Of course, there was no rollback, no standard SQL and no PITR. Search was done using Sphinx (http://sphinxsearch.com) and the whole thing required some finagling with Perl and PHP. Perl is, as Jared can attest, the language that separates boys and men. #!/usr/bin/env perl
use strict;
use warnings;

--
Mladen Gogala