RE: Disaster Recovery and Hurricane Harvey

From: Reen, Elizabeth <"Reen,>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 14:18:16 +0000

            We have a datacenter in the Bahamas. The network links are not fast enough for Dataguard, the DR site is in Asia. This is a business decision (which I hope they rethink after this). We do a dump and load for recovery there. They have to come down today so we can make sure we have a good backup. I remember from the first World Trade Center bombing, that the network was the last thing we got back. Check your DR networks. The odds of a business surviving a 5 day outage are not good.

Liz

Elizabeth Reen
CPB Database Group Manager

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gus Spier Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2017 8:46 AM To: oracle-l
Subject: Disaster Recovery and Hurricane Harvey

Outside all of the loss, pain, and general Schrecklichkeit associated with Hurricane Harvey, is anybody else interested in gathering real life Disaster Recovery scenarios from this event? The thought is to solicit real-life DR stories, redact sensitive data (identities, businesses, etc), and compare and contrast them to highlight what worked, what didn't, how outside issues or personal stresses complicated the recovery. Other topics of interest:

  • How distant was the Disaster Recovery site?
  • Did anybody effectively exercise DR procedures?

If there is interest and participation, I would envision some kind of freely distributed "lessons-learned" document.

Regards,

Gus Spier