Re: AW: Copy-on-write file systems

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 11:40:36 -0600

Nenad,

Agreed on how solutions evolve over the years.  Back in the 1980s I worked on custom-built in-house CRM solutions for medical and travel businesses, but that would be foolish today.  In 1994, I helped a large telcomm build a custom in-house general ledger application, which even at the time was raising eyebrows even on the team, asking "why are we doing this?"

Among our best customers are those who have been using ZFS for a long time, know it inside and out, but now prefer to focus on the results of what ZFS does, not the process of getting it to do what they want.

As to your questions...

  1. *Are OpenZFS and DxFS fully integrated into the Linux Kernel?*
    • /DxFS is based on OpenZFS, and Delphix DxOS is based on Illumos, a variant of OpenSolaris/ o /DxFS and DxOS are indeed very tightly integrated/
  2. *Have you seen many Oracle installations running on OpenZFS_at_Linux apart from Delphix?*
    • /DxOS/DxFS provides block storage for database files from database platforms like Oracle, SQL Server, SAP ASE (Sybase), SAP HANA, IBM DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and full-stack applications like Oracle E-Business Suites/ o /Unfortunately, I personally have never worked with OpenZFS on Linux at all (yet) /
  3. *How do Oracle databases at Delphix access the database files – via NFS or are the file systems locally mounted? *
    • /Delphix makes database and application files available to database instances and application software via network-attached storage (NAS)/ o /For UNIX/Linux platforms, that is indeed NFS;  for Windows, that is iSCSI./

Many thanks!

-Tim