Re: LIO/sec per CPU limit? Is it Hardware or Oracle code?

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 11:15:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Henry,

> 1. Our sysadm said that there are kernel issues and "perf stat" cannot run on these systems

I really would like to hear about these kernel issues and his concerns - never seen an issue with these.

> Also RAPL throttling is on in the slow server. I am guessing this could account for the throttled cpu speed. I am starting to google search to see where this can be set from. Anyone out there know any  good resources on RAPL throttling or how to disable it?

Unfortunately you have not mentioned your linux kernel version yet (or i just missed it) but there are several ways to drill down into RAPL.

  1. PowerCap interface: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/powercap/powercap.txt
  2. Perf
  3. MSR registers (/dev/msr)

However if you can do the fancy stuff at all depends on BIOS (and vendor). If you run dmesg you may see some messages about "intel_rapl" to get an idea if it works anyway with your hardware.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK