Oracle 12.2 on SLES12 - How to disable Hardware Lock Elision

From: Martin Klier - Performing Databases GmbH <martin.klier_at_performing-db.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:30:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Listers,

again a nice finding about Oracle 12.2 - this time in combination with SLES12 and a cheap E5 CPU. Somehow (I still can't explain why) I can't use Intel's TSX (Transactional Synchronization Extensions) there, and thus, the Oracle Binaries using libpthread will fail.

What I did about it, is in this blog:
http://www.usn-it.de/index.php/2017/07/10/oracle-rac-12r2-on-sles12-how-to-disable-hardware-lock-elision-support/

But I still don't know why this happens - seems to be a bad thing and might degrade performance, but I had no time for benchmarks yet.

Is it simply the chip, or the distribution? I was never able to reproduce that im my virtual environment, but I have entirely different chips (older E7's).

Any background info is highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
--

Martin Klier | Performing Databases GmbH Managing Partner | Senior DB Consultant Oracle ACE

martin.klier_at_performing-db.com | https://www.performing-databases.com

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Jul 10 2017 - 22:30:33 CEST

Original text of this message