Re: Estimating HCC ratios

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 21:06:50 -0400

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Pantheon Systems <pantheon.oracle_at_gmail.com
> wrote:

> Folks
>
> Is there a way to estimate HCC compression ratios?
>
> I.e.. To what extent HCC is employed in the database ?
>
> Or what percentage of tables are HCC compressed & their ratios & whether
> it is archive high / low and so on

I'm not sure I exactly understand your question. If you don't have a means to test actual compression, you can estimate compression ratios by sampling your data with DBMS_COMPRESSION. How you employ it and what percentage of the tables use HCC in your database is really up to what your needs are. If your tables are bulk loaded and only SELECTed from then HCC may be great. If they are heavily DMLed then probably not so great.

Andy K