Re: Standby with a twist

From: Fernando Andrade <correo_at_fjandrade.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 11:32:08 -0500

I put a ticket some long time ago for a solution like this.

For HCC to work you need to buy an Oracle NAS.

FJA   From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> Reply-To: <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM To: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
Subject: Standby with a twist

The client has half rack Exadata X6, with Oracle 12.1.0.2 running on it. The database itself is 35 TB. The client would like to have a standby DB in a spare location. They envisioned a normal Linux box, with 64 cores and 1 TB RAM, connected to NetApp All Flash. So far, so good. I was asked to build that standby. I have only one issue: HCC. The client is using hybrid columnar compression on Exadata. If I restore RMAN backup to a non-Exadata box, will the restored database be able to read the tables? What about the log apply? Messing around with a backup of 35 TB database can waste quite a bit of time. So, has anybody ever done a non-Exadata standby to an Exadata database?

Regards
--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA