RE: sys_context to get connection string?

From: Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.ch>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 05:31:36 +0000

Andrew,

Why don’t you use LDAP servers for the names resolution? It is the real centralized solution. Not only does it save you of trouble with deployment of tnsnames.ora, but any change to a connection string is instantaneously visible to all of the database clients.

If Active Directory is not a viable solution in your organization, you can setup your own Oracle Directory Server (ODS) for this purpose. For me, ODS is one of the key enabler of the agility in database provisioning.

Nenad

Home Page: http://nenadnoveljic.com/blog/ Twitter: _at_NenadNoveljic<https://twitter.com/NenadNoveljic>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Sonntag, 11. Juni 2017 23:58
To: Norman Dunbar
Cc: Mladen Gogala; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: sys_context to get connection string?

And even assuming they use dns, it only 'centralizes' the host name. I prefer to centralize the database connection definitions. With a single tns, i can simply tell users that if they dont use the centralized tnsnames.ora file I will decline they are entirely on their own in defining their connections from the desktop. On another subject, has anyone else noticed that dgmgrl can be inconsistent as to whether it is using the tnsnames.ora file from the database home or the asm home? It might just be with the ODA (unlikely) but working with one recently I found occasions when it used the db home tnsnames.ora and other occasions where it uses the asm home tnsnames.ora.

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk<mailto:oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>> wrote: Does it Malden? I have a funny feeling that the host part of an ezconnect string is permitted to be an IP address. No DNS required. :-(

Cheers,
Norm.
On 11 June 2017 22:23:19 BST, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com<mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

On 06/11/2017 05:22 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:

 You lost me completely. How does ezconnect centralize anything? if  anything it decentralizes everything.

EZCONNECT relies on DNS, which is usually centralized.

Andrew W. Kerber

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

<head>
</head>