Re: sys_context to get connection string?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 15:33:00 -0400

On 06/09/2017 04:09 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> We are getting ready to switch to new hardware, and I want to make
> sure I know how all the users are connecting (whether tns, ezconnect,
> etc) so I can figure out at a minimum what tns changes are being
> used. My nightmare, some smart guy had a tns string going to a test
> database, and rather than changing the tns name in his code he changed
> his tns entry to point to prod when the time came, without changing
> the name. Its easy to miss that sort of thing

Andrew, I am usually advising users to stop using TNSNAMES.ORA whenever they can. EZCONNECT method is ideal and is based on DNS. The format is very simple: HOSTNAME:PORT/SERVICE. I spent large part of my life fixing tnsnames.ora files needlessly. Another option is using active directory. However, Winduhs admins are frequently less than cooperative, so be prepared to explain why do you need this. I have fought that type of battle several times and have usually won. Regards

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA