Re: database of blobs

From: Gerald Venzl <gerald.venzl_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 10:27:25 +0200

The design seems solid. In this scenario databases are often used to make the documents searchable via the metadata that is stored in the table next to the LOB, e.g customer, creation date, doc type, etc.

Securefiles allow you to compress the LOB to save more disk space.

You may want to partition on the creation date or something similar, assuming that those files are queried less when they get older. Then you can put an ILM strategy in place if you ever have to (compress older files with a higher compression ratio, etc). The creation date can be even defaulted to SYSDATE so that you don't have to worry about changing the INSERT statements.

And, you may want to move to bigfile tablespaces. Nothing wrong with smallfile tablespaces, bigfile tablespaces just make the datafile management a bit easier.

Thx,

Gerald