Re: database of blobs

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 19:05:34 +0000

Are you blobs stored as securefile lobs?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> Sent: June 5, 2017 7:22 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: database of blobs

Sort of a design question here. I have a database that is only used to store documents or images in a blob field. This is mostly scanned copies of invoices or employee records as pdf's or jpeg images of pictures from some of our custom applications. Again all of these are stored in the same table as a blob field. These blob's are currently 840gb in size in a small file tablespace that currently has 27 datafiles that are 32gb. I potentially have the opportunity to reorganize this database and or table during an upcoming migration from 11.2.0.4 -> 12.1.0.2 and also moving Windows -> Linux. So I don't really have a direct question here but just wondering what anybody things about this, or is there something I might want to think about as this table grows, or maybe a better way to organize it. I thought about maybe partitioning it somehow but it doesn't seem like there is a logical way to partition it. Also there are no performance issues as all this database does is save and retrieve images.

Thanks,
Jeff