Re: How enforce uniqueness across partitions in the partition table?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 07:51:15 -0400

On 06/06/2017 12:04 AM, Michael Cunningham wrote:
> Hi Elizabeth, I might as well chime in on this.
>
> I have put food on the table for 20 years now based on my Oracle
> expertise. However, more and more I am involved in conversations about
> how long Oracle will be able to treat customers the way they do while
> other (cheaper) databases continue to gain stability and features.
>
> To give some meat to my statement I'm talking about the Oracle audits
> (like Mladen mentioned) where the customer is treated like a criminal
> - I've been there. And then there is licensing where if you use Oracle
> cloud you get more bang for your buck now that the core licensing has
> changed for other cloud providers such as Amazon. When management
> hears this stuff they start looking for ways to get rid of Oracle.
> Already, we have been directed to use "other than Oracle" databases
> for all new projects. As someone who has defended Oracle for years
> (due to my skillset) there is a time when I have to see the light.
> That time cam during our latest audit.
>
> I can only speak for the San Francisco area, but, yes, my colleagues
> have noticed a decline in Oracle jobs. That could be due to
> outsourcing, but I honestly don't have enough knowledge in that area
> to know. At the same time I see MySQL and PostgreSQL jobs still in
> demand. It also seems jobs are on the rise for skilled AWS folks.
> Aurora is not something that should be ignored with the ease of
> migration from Oracle.
>
> I truly think 10 years from now the database landscape will look much
> different than today in regards to Oracle.

Hi Michael,
Yes, I agree with your post almost entirely. However, Oracle extortion raids on their customers, also known as "audits", are not the only problem. The word "audit" seems to be quite popular with both Oracle Corp. and the Church of Scientology. Prices are the most fundamental issue here. Oracle is the only DB vendor which charges you for the right to create another database or for the right to create a partitioned table. Also, monitoring and diagnostic tools come separately. The prices needed to get something useful are outrageous. The other database vendors are not quite as good as Oracle, but in many cases, they are good enough.
Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA