Re: Rman restore from big endian to little endian - possible?

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 22:16:02 +0100

If your 10g database is 10.2.0.5 then rman has the convert database or convert tablespace etc commands that can be used to swap endian-ness and/or operating systems. I used it a few years back to go from 9i enterprise edition to 11g standard edition from hpux to Linux, via a 10.2.0.5 database on hpux to get the conversion commands. That was a 6.5 Tb database with spatial plus spatial indexes.

We used, if I recall correctly, transportable tablespaces, I think, and did a convert tablespace at the receiving end - although you can also do it at the sending end.

Check the rman manual, there's details there of what to look for and which source and destination operating systems are allowed.

Obviously, you need to have the source and destination servers, or at least all the source backup files.

Have fun.

If your 10g is lower than 10.2.0.5 then you will need to upgrade or you are, unfortunately, out of luck.

Cheers,
Norm.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu May 11 2017 - 23:16:02 CEST

Original text of this message