Re: Rman restore from big endian to little endian - possible?

From: John Kelly <jckelly_at_aidhm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 17:07:55 -0400

Hi Jay,

This is old school, but I suggest you build yourself an ARC (Aging RMAN Computer). Like Noah, the ARC
can save the day, although it really depends on the size of the rman backups. If we are not talking
hundreds of TB, I would obtain a small oracle/sun solaris server that can run Oracle 10 reasonably well,
sufficient to perform an rman restore and datapump export. These can be purchased on Ebay or other service
suppliers like liquidtechnology - just google used sun hardware. Purchase a couple of new SAS drives that meet the server specs, in case a drive goes bad and store them with the machine. Build out Solaris and Oracle
on the server , test the rman restore. Then write it up and place the docs on the server, print out a copy of the docs and tape 'em to the server and store everything with the backups. Don't forget to include a copy of the
OS media, the Oracle binaries and of course the passwords to the server. Most of the sun mid-size servers are
small enough to get by without server room cooling. I have two in my basement running on 110 all the time
with no issues. Yep, its a bit outside the box, but its a fairly cheap solution and as long as 110 electricity is still available it should be good for 10 or even 20 years

Cheers,