Re: Upgrading Repository database

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 12:49:02 -0600

 >> GET IT ALL ON LINUX +1

You can argue all day about whether Linux is "technically superior" or not, but none of that matters. Proprietary UNIX's are dead or dying because they are proprietary, and because they are ported to dying hardware. Intel x86 is the winner; SPARC, PA-RISC, Itanium, and POWER are all dead or dying. x86 processors are manufactured by the millions, the others are manufactured by the thousands.

It's funny and sad to see IBM or Oracle bragging about record-setting benchmarks on POWER or SPARC; it's like bragging about the best video rental service.

I expect that IBM will keep POWER and AIX alive forever, just as they have mainframes. That is their niche, and their history.

But PA-RISC is long gone, Itanium began life as a white elephant, and SPARC is ... well, you've read the news...

Delphix has cross-platform provisioning (XPP) functionality, and it is used for UNIX-to-Linux (U2L) projects. Most want to take advantage of using IaaS resources for non-production indefinitely, where production is on-premise on UNIX, but development and functional testing uses IaaS/cloud for agility, also known as "hybrid IT". Outside of IBM and Oracle hosting and cloud offerings, everything is x86. So for Oracle databases on AIX, Solaris, or HP-UX in production, you have to U2L.

Migration of production to Linux requires 6-18 months of testing; it is rarely a one-time "cutover", as there is an ecosystem that has to adapt. Having U2L capability to initiate Linux use in non-production immediately exercises the new Linux ecosystem, shortening time to cutover.

I know proprietary UNIX is dying because I work in a hospice.