RE: Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall

From: Matt <mvshelton_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 22:14:04 -0400

We currently use Audit Vault on a project very simple to manage. Not many bugs on the current version. Recommendation use the product as intended for example it likes iscsi for extra disk space do not try to use fiber attached storage. The product is self healing and designed to be maintained by a non dba. The purpose for this is to keep the audit data segregated from the database and DBA’s.

Thank You

Matthew Shelton

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Svetoslav Gyurov Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 9:51 AM
To: backseatdba_at_gmail.com
Cc: Fernando Andrade; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall

Had the "luxury" to implement Audit Vault few year ago only the customer to scrap the project few months later (yes, they bought it the product and dump it later)

Run Forest, run!!

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am working on getting a demo so we'll see.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Fernando Andrade <correo_at_fjandrade.com> wrote:

I used the product two years ago, version 11 something as I remember.

It was not a good experience, lots of bugs, not a polished interface.

And when I tried to integrate it with solaris audit logs it simply won´t work.

I give it a 4/10, maybe the last version solved most of the bugs but I haven´t tried it yet.

FJA   From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> Reply-To: <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 12:05 PM To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Oracle Audit Vault and Database Firewall

So I guess no one out there has any experience with this?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Does anybody have or have used Oracle's Audit Vault and Database Firewall? It sounds intriguing in that in can protect our audit logs as well as offload them. Supposedly there are built in reports to let you know of things happening (haven't seen directly yet). We are a small private company with all applications custom built.

My sales guy is trying to sell us on it and I have thought about it before. We have a very small CPU footprint so I think the cost would be around $6k. Which may be nothing to a lot of you but I still have to justify it.

Some of my questions.

Does it work as advertised?

Is it easy to setup an configure or is it a management nightmare?

Are there other factors to consider if using it.

Do you love it or is it worthless.

Thanks,

Jeff