Re: Oracle database on VM Ware

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 15:34:54 -0500

Matthew,

No one knows what your Oracle License and Service Agreement (OLSA) says except the parties to whom it is bound, However, every OLSA I have seen is written in plain language as far as the law is concerned. There is nothing in the contract that says that Oracle can modify the terms of the contract at will without the consent of all bound parties. I challenge you (for the sake of every Oracle customer) to find from a publicly available OLSA any lines that could be considered, *"pointers to web pages and documents where the document states that Oracle can modify the document at will in the future and you agree to the modification without participating in discussing or negotiating the effect of the change on your organization."*

Legal precedent is pretty clear in this case. Oracle has never taken anyone to court over disputes about licensing Oracle Database on VMware. The only court case on record is when Mars Inc. filed an action against Oracle on Oct. 23, 2015. Mars then filed a motion to dismiss on Dec. 16 of the same year. The case was most likely never even brought before a judge.

The mere threat of a lawsuit regarding licensing Oracle Database on VMware appears to have put Oracle in a panic. That should offer immense comfort to customers running Oracle on Vsphere.

Seth Miller

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net