Re: Oracle database on VM Ware

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:32:17 -0500

Here's the thing to consider (that I replied to Jeffrey off-list about).

  1. If you license Oracle correctly/tightly on VMWare (not an entire farm opposed to what Oracle tries to tell you), then you are going to be in for a fight - Oracle will threaten you, potentially take you to court (and likely lose) but they're betting you'll cave in before it makes it to court. The problem is, the stress involved - keeping your companies legal team involved, dealing with high pressure tactics from Oracle and whatever else comes along.

So, if a company is willing to "go to the mattresses" against Oracle and their stance of running on VMWare it can be done, but the tradeoff is significant and the legal costs could be high.

Just my $0.02 (if that)

Chris

http://houseofbrick.com/managing-oracle-licensing-in-