RE: Containerizing Applications on Windows

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 22:45:14 -0400

Have you checked his listener software? If memory serves, that 8.1.7 boundary was a security issue regarding backwards compatibility with an older version of sqlnet interfaces. If he somehow got an old versions of the listener servers into Windows services they might still be in there and they might start first even if more current sqlnet software is available.

I remember this being a gory mess for laggards in updating software, but it was over a decade ago.

This could be completely off target, but that message really seems familiar after all these years.

Good luck. 8.1.7 was a great version, but they decided it shouldn’t be able to talk to v6. Understandable.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of MacGregor, Ian A. Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:17 PM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Containerizing Applications on Windows

I have a user who wants to use Windows Containers for an application with the following components

Windows 2016 with latest updates
Visual Studio 2017
Using C# .net framework 3.5
DAC1120320_x64
ODTwithODAC1120320_32

Because DAC1120320_x64 and ODTwithODAC1120320_32 are User Interfaces they are therefore unsuitable for Docker, he has tried to use the following

ODAC121024Xcopy_x64
ODAC121024Xcopy_x32

ODAC112040Xcopy_64
ODAC112040Xcopy_32

ODAC121010Xcopy_x64
ODAC121010Xcopy_x32

The error he receives is "System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater” This usually indicates use of 32-bit software with a 64-bit Oracle client. However he has said he has tried both 32-bit and 64-bit clients and has indicated he has tried with everything being 64-bit.

Any Ideas??? I am not well versed in ODAC.

Has any one been successful with ODAC Xcopy and Docker?

Ian MacGregor

SLAC National Accelerator Library