Re: Oracle database on VM Ware

From: William Blanchard <bgblanch_at_wkbweb.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 13:36:56 -0500

It's real... It comes down to the old argument of hard partitions vs soft partitions. Since your VM can migrate to any of the clusters you have to license e'rthing. You can talk to your sales rep to get better information.

  • William
    • On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 13:33:01 -0500 Beckstrom Jeffrey &lt;JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org&gt; wrote ----

We are thinking of consolidating our databases onto VM Ware servers. At this point, we are still in the planning phase. Googling, I found information stating that if VSPHERE 5.1+ is being used; then you need to license Oracle on all VM Ware clusters and not just the cluster being dedicated to the databases. Is this for real? If so, then we will have to reconsider our plans.

Jeffrey Beckstrom

Lead Database Administrator

Information Technology Department

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

1240 W. 6th Street

Cleveland, Ohio 44113