RE: SQL result formatting on TO_CHAR different in 12c

From: Stephan Uzzell <stephan.uzzell_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 13:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Sandra,

A lot of columns got bumped up significantly in size in 12c. desc dba_objects in a 12c and 11g database to see. Owner, subobject_name, and edition_name have all been bumped from 30 to 128.

I’m almost certain that’s what you’re running into. I don’t know an easy workaround other than, as you described, formatting the columns.

We’ve been playing with changing them in glogin.sql that we can then push out to all our servers, rather than updating each and every script.

Hope that helps,

stephan

Stephan Uzzell | Sr. Database Engineer | +1 410.227.6732

Oracle Cloud for Industry | Cloud Database Operations

Swarthmore, PA | US

From: Sandra Becker [mailto:sbecker6925_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:13 PM
To: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: SQL result formatting on TO_CHAR different in 12c

Oracle EE 12.1.0.2, 2-node RAC

RHEL 5 We recently upgraded from 11.2.0.4 to 12.1.0.2.  We have several scripts running out of crontab to monitor various aspects of our applications.  The analysts are seeing different formatting of the results of these scripts in 12c than they did in 11g.

11g - all output was on one line - linesize set to 1000, only 10 columns, date, timestamp, and number formats.  In the script, they use TO_CHAR to get the desired format.

12c - no changes to the script; now each column is on a separate line.  If I set linesize to 10000, I see the expect behavior with a whole lot of whitespace between columns.

I still had copy of this production database that I used to practice the upgrade.  I went in and changed the parameter permit_92_wrap_format to false.  Behavior reverted back to what we saw in 11g.  However, I'm not convinced this is the right workaround.

Has anyone else see this behavior?  We have a lot of scripts and changing all of them to use a column alias and column formatting (which should have been done in the first place) would be a major undertaking.  I haven't found any bugs on MOS related to this yet or any useful information in the Oracle docs.  My co-worker is opening an SR, but no response yet.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

--

Sandy B.

--