Re: Memory speed question

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:48:19 -0400

I recommend benchmarking/testing

  1. you can focus on a significant workload driver on your application and measure the effect on response time (end to end and per execution)
  2. microbenchmark the memory itself - check out intel memory latency checker https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intelr-memory-latency-checker#whatdoesitmeasure

You can probably try that on one of the nodes first (analyze and correlate the numbers) then if everything is okay proceed with the rest.

This reminds me of the Exadata X2 days where going for the memory expansion kit drops the memory frequency to 800 MHz from 1333 MHz. The expansion kits are usually done on dev/test/qa environments so we could squeeze more databases on the cluster vs adding more nodes (pricier).

-Karl

--
Karl Arao
Blog: karlarao.wordpress.com