RE: Memory speed question

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:52:04 -0700

The information about going from 1600MHZ to 1066MHZ is in the Intel and HW documentation relative to Intel architecture.

I have benchmarked systems with a variety of different applications java, python, perl, databases etc.

The "your milage will vary" is of course very accurate. The performance differential to the app in some cases was very low and in other cases was up to 40% differential.

Depends on your app and what the app is doing.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7 Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew
Parker's profile on LinkedIn

www.dimensionaldba.com <http://www.dimensionaldba.com/>

From: Tim Gorman [mailto:tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 12:33 PM
To: Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com; Dimensional DBA; 'ORACLE-L' Subject: Re: Memory speed question

Amir,

I'd recommend pushing hard for concrete information: a KB or support documentation from Cisco. Lacking substantiation, it's just an opinion.

Don't allow hearsay, opinions, and myths to propagate without challenge. Be respectful, be polite, but be firm.

Hope this helps...

-Tim

For that we will need to buy memory and then add it to the host which is what we are trying to avoid. We have also asked our data center to check with Cisco and the response we got was that "mileage will vary".

From: Dimensional DBA [mailto:dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net] Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 3:01 PM
To: Hameed, Amir <mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com> <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>; 'ORACLE-L' <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: Memory speed question

It is simplest to run a benchmark and you will see that your app will notice a difference if you have a low latency app.

It also limits the overall amount of work that can be accomplished on that blade.