Re: Whether to use AFD (ASM Filter Driver) in 12c

From: Yong Huang <"Yong>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:50:44 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Franky. In terms of performance, I don't think AFD or ASMLib has any advantage over not using them. ASMLib offers management convenience (or INconvenience to some people). AFD offers write protection from non-Oracle programs. Our shop has stopped using ASMLib for some years. Now it's time for us to formally install 12c, our team is debating whether to embrace its successor AFD. We don't worry about non-Oracle writes since it's extremely unlikely for us. We kind of worry about the kernel module. Now Red Hat kernel update includes ASMLib (I think), so it probably will include AFD as well. If not, we would have to manually compile the AFD from source every time the server team plans a kernel update.

I'd love to know what the trend is. I wish there was a poll on whether ASMLib/AFD is or will be used.

Another reason I worry about ASMLib/AFD is bugs. Using a technology without an additional layer is my preference, unless of course that layer offers benefit we do need but can't easily implement.

Yong