Re: Fetch speed in SQL Developer

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:13:21 +0100 (CET)

Hey Lothar,

> SQL trace show that the db is waiting on sql net message from client between fetches. I suspect that the application is processing the rows and the
> db is waiting for it.

"SQL*Net message from client" accounts the application think/processing time, but it also includes the network (transfer) time. It is pretty impossible (from a SQL*Trace point of view) to say if it is network or application related if your single waits are pretty small.

However you can use a SQL*Net trace and see exactly where the time is gone as all the corresponding C (network) functions are recorded as well. I have written a blog post about this some time ago if you are interested: http://tinyurl.com/hbvuelj

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK