Re: SQL Developer / Oracle Directory Server

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 17:17:13 +0000

I don't have an answer, but I am surprised that it works elsewhere. I'd expect em and other tools to fail as well.

On 24 Feb 2017 15:40, "Noveljic Nenad" <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.ch> wrote:

Dear fellows,

I use Oracle Directory Server (ODS) 11.1.1.7.0 for database name resolution which works perfect except for SQL Server Developer. I'm currently on the version 4.1.5, but the problem reproduces on other versions as well.

The sole purpose of the ODS in question is names resolution. It is worth noting that the Oracle context is defined under the root DSE (DEFAULT_ADMIN_CONTEXT = ""). I'm getting following error when SQL Developer tries to load Oracle Contexts: "LDAP:error code 32 - No Such Object"

By looking into the ODS logs, I deduced the ldapsearch done by SQL Developer:

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/ldapsearch -h hostname -p port -b "" -s sub "objectClass=*" cn dn

The problem can also be reproduced by running the ldap search above. The reason for the error is that, unlike other types of LDAP, ODS doesn't allow the subtree searches on root DSE. What SQL Developer is trying to do is to discover all of the oracle contexts under the base entry, which in my case happens to be the root DSE.

I’ve investigated following options so far, though without success:

  • enabling the subtree search on root DSE in ODS
  • disabling the subtree search for oracle contexts in SQL Developer. In my case, it would be sufficient to take just the oracle context under the configured DEFAULT_ADMIN_CONTEXT.

Have I overlooked something? Any other ideas how to solve this problem?

I would like to avoid the migration of OracleContext to another subtree.

Many thanks,

Nenad Noveljic

Twitter: _at_NenadNoveljic

Home page: http://nenadnoveljic.com

Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

Important Notice
This message is intended only for the individual named. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you should in particular not disseminate, distribute, modify or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, if you have received this message by mistake and delete it from your system. E-mail transmission may not be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. Also processing of incoming e-mails cannot be guaranteed. All liability of the Vontobel Group and its affiliates for any damages resulting from e-mail use is excluded. You are advised that urgent and time sensitive messages should not be sent by e-mail and if verification is required please request a printed version.