ASM on LUNs Vs pNFS

From: William Ndolo Intertek <william.ndolo_at_intertek.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 23:15:10 +0000

Hi all,
Does anybody have an insight to share on moving from traditional LUNs to pNFS and still being able to use ASM on a 12c environment? Any documentations on the benefits of moving away from LUNs to pNFS would be highly appreciated. I have done some research and it is clear that pNFS comes with enhanced security, enhanced efficiency, enhanced resource management and enhanced performance optimization per IBM. Application servers , or clients, can gain simultaneous access in parallel over multiple data<http://searchdatamanagement.techtarget.com/definition/data> paths to storage servers or nodes<http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/node>. Anybody using pNFS in their environment? Compared to LUN's, can we categorically say that pNFS has superior performance? Note below one of the selling points:
The pNFS architecture also eliminates many of the scalability<http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/definition/scalability> and performance<http://searchsoftwarequality.techtarget.com/definition/performance-testing> issues associated with NFS servers<http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/server> because file<http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/file-system> metadata<http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/metadata> and protocol data are transmitted over the Internet Protocol (IP<http://searchunifiedcommunications.techtarget.com/definition/Internet-Protocol>) network<http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/network>, while file data travels over the storage architecture as files, blocks<http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/definition/block> or objects<http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/definition/object>.

How does the above statement compare with traditional LUNs?

Thanks and best regards,

Bill Ndolo

Valued Quality. Delivered.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information, if you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient then please notify us by return e-mail immediately. Should you have received this e-mail in error then you should not copy this for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person.

Intertek is dedicated to Customer Service and welcomes your feedback. Please visit http://www.intertek.com/email-feedback/ to send us your suggestions or comments. We thank you for your time.

Except where explicitly agreed in writing, all work and services performed by Intertek is subject to our Standard Terms and Conditions of Business which can be obtained at our website: http://www.intertek.com/terms/ Should you have any difficulty obtaining these from the web site, please contact us immediately and we will send a copy by return.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 27 2017 - 00:15:10 CET

Original text of this message